Here are the answers for the April Teen Trivia Contest, It’s Good To Be Green. Congratulations to Ellie, she got the most answers right!
Be sure to check out May’s Contest, Superhero Trivia!
1. Garbage stays in a landfill for about:
2. If you saved up all the unwanted junk mail for one year, how many trees would the United States save during that time?
3. If just 25% of U.S. families used 10 fewer plastic bags a month, how many bags would we save in a year?
4. Energy saved from one recycled aluminum can will operate a T.V. set for how many hours?
5. How many species of plants and animals become extinct everyday as their habitat is destroyed by human influences?
6. How many square miles of rainforests are being destroyed each year?
63,000 square miles
7. Every year approximately how many tons of carbon accumulate in the air?
8. On average, how many aluminum cans are used each year?
The First Woman To….
1. First African-American woman to win a Best Actress Oscar:
- Halle Berry (in 2001 for Monster’s Ball)
2. First woman to serve on the Supreme Court:
- Sandra Day O’Connor (served from 1981-2006)
3. First American woman in space:
- Sally Ride (1983 on the space shuttle Challenger)
4. First woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean:
- Amelia Airhart (completed in May 1932)
5. First woman to receive a medical degree:
- Elizabeth Blackwell (from Geneva College in New York in 1849)
6. First woman to publish a cookbook:
- Fannie Farmer (1896 cookbook, The Boston Cooking-School Cook Book; it was the first to use standard measurement units)
7. First woman athlete to be paid over $100,000 in a single year:
- Billie Jean King (in 1971 for playing tennis)
8. First woman to ride in the Kentucky Derby:
9. First woman to win a Nobel Prize:
- Marie Curie (in 1903 she won the Nobel Prize for Physics)
10. First woman to work as a baseball umpire:
- Bernice Gera (June 24, 1972, at a game between the Auburn Phillies and Geneva Rangers in the New York-Pennsylvania League)
Congratulations to our March winner, Laura C.! Don’t forget to enter our April Contest, “It’s Good To Be Green”!