South Kingstown Library Teen Summer Program
June 25—August 8
Open to Grade 7 and up!
This summer is your chance to win!
Kindle! I-Pod Shuffle! Gift certificates to Wakefield Books, Amazon,
Entertainment Cinemas, Pier Pizza and more!
How can you win?
- Read! Sign up at any branch. Each week, stop in at any branch and fill out an Own the Night weekly slip (only one per week). There will be a new slip each week and only the current week’s form will be available. Bring the slip to the desk and you’ll get a prize and a Level One raffle ticket. The teen librarian will keep track of the number of weekly slips you fill out; after three weeks, automatically earn bonus tickets into our Grand Prize Raffle!
- Review! Tell others if you like what you’re reading! Each review gets you a ticket for the Level One raffle. After 3 reviews, get a Grand Prize Raffle tickets! Submissions will be posted on the library’s Teen Blog. Forms are available at all South Kingstown Libraries. You can also email email@example.com for a copy. Fill them out and drop them off or email your entry.
- Visit! For every teen event you attend, you get a ticket for the Level One Raffle! Space is limited and registration may be required for some events. Check the library website for more details.
So what events are we having this summer? So glad you asked!
Peace Dale Library Events:
- Thurs. July 5th, 2-4 p.m. Anime/Manga Club Summer Special!
In addition to drawing & watching anime, we’ll also be making candy sushi!
- Wed. July 11th 2-3 p.m. RI Museum of Science and Art: Color, Emotion and Illusions in Animation!
Create stop animation videos that demonstrate how color can effect the mood and create illusions in your movies!
- Wed. July 18th, 2-3 p.m. Comic Book Character Workshop—How to Create Characters for Comics and Manga
- Thurs. July 26th 2-4 p.m. Zombie, Alien, and Monster Felt Dolls Creations!
- Wed. August 1st, 2-4 p.m. Insomniac Snack Attack! Learn how to make a variety of tasty late night snacks, from Smores on a Stick to Smoothies and more!
- Thurs. August 2nd, 2-4 p.m. Anime/Manga Cos-Play Meeting! Come Dressed as your Favorite Character
Kingston Free Library Events:
- Fri. July 13th, 6-9:30 p.m. Freaky Friday Lock-in at the Library!
Magician Matt Franco has toured across the country and will be putting on a magic show & workshop just for us. Prepare to be stumped and amazed, while also learning a few tricks of the trade! We’ll also have snacks, games and glow in the dark fun! Pizza will be served! **Space is limited! Permission slips required for this event.
- Mon. July 23rd, 2 p.m. Watercolor Painting with Pam Santos! Learn the basics and take home a finished masterpiece!
- Mon. July 30th, 2 p.m. RI Museum of Art and Science: Cut Outs!
Learn how to make 2-D, jointed cut-out puppets, that will then be used to create stop-motion animated movies!
Zombie Apocalypse Grand Finale @ The Peace Dale Library
Wed. August 8th 2:30-4:30 p.m. Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse???
Join us for trivia, games, ice cream and pizza! Get a free book!
Raffle Prize Winners will be chosen!
Don’t forget, certain events have limited space, so call the Peace Dale Library at 789-1555 or the Kingston Free Library at 783-8254 to register or for more information!
I know, June is already almost over. You’re probably thinking, “It’s a little late in the month to start celebrating audiobooks”.
Nope, you’d be wrong about that!
See, the end of June also brings the end of the school year and the beginning of summer. And the long days on the beach. Or maybe the endless road trip with the family. Or maybe just the need to tune out a bored younger sibling. Or maybe (hint, hint) you are looking for something to listen to for the library’s Own the Night Teen Summer Reading Program. Maybe.
Regardless, all of these reasons make the end of June the perfect time to celebrate the audiobook.
Here are a few new ones that you can find at the library this summer:
Fault in Our Stars by John Green Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.
Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick After an injury ends former star pitcher Peter Friedman’s athletic dreams, he concentrates on photography which leads him to a girlfriend, new fame as a high school sports photographer, and a deeper relationship with the beloved grandfather who, when he realizes he is becoming senile, gives Pete all of his professional camera gear.
Legend by Marie Lu In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.
Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.
These are just some of the audiobooks in the teen section of the library. Need some more ideas? Check out the Young Adult Library Services Association List of Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults. It is updated every year, complete with a top ten list.
So what do you prefer? Listening to audiobooks? Or would you rather read the story right from the pages?
Summer is just starting…what are you going to do with all that free time you now have?
Here’s an idea…volunteer!
If you need volunteer hours, summer is a great time to get some done! With our summer reading program starting next week, the Peace Dale Library is in need of teen volunteers to help at programs and the summer reading desk. We have a wide number of hours and time slots that need to be filled.
If you entering Grade 7 or up, contact children’s librarian Tina Ladika at 789-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens when you combine Beanie Babies and Hunger Games? Laughter. A bunch of it.
Just a quick reminder about what teen programs are happening this week at the library:
|Thursday, June 7th 4-4:45 p.m.|
7th & 8th Grade Guys Read Book Club
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
Thursday, June 8th, 3:45-4:45 p.m.
Anime/Manga Club ***Don’t forget, we meet 15 minutes later today!!!***
Hope to see everyone there!