We’re entering week two of the “Beneath the Surface” Teen Summer Program! Lots of stuff is happening this week!
Beneath the Surface: Movies and More!
It’s time for our first movies and more on Wednesday, July 10th, 3-5 p.m. at the Peace Dale Library! Come watch the classic adventure movie Goonies (PG) while we make pirate themed crafts!
Popcorn and snacks will be served!
Registration preferred, call 789-1555 for more info.
Teen After Hours Lock-In
Then on Friday, July 12th from 6-9 p.m. at the Kingston Free Library join us for our Annual Summer Teen Lock-In! Open to students entering grade 7 and up, you’ll first, laugh yourself silly with an improv workshop! Then enjoy smoothie making and blackout poetry! Pizza will be served!
**Space is limited! Registration and Permission slips are required for this event. Call 783-8254 for more information!**
Don’t forget, every teen program you attend earns you a raffle ticket to win great prizes! Plus, complete any combination of six teen programs, weekly reading slips, or weekly scavenger hunt trivia and be entered to win the Grand Prize of a Kindle Fire! Visit the Teen Summer Page of our website for full details!
It’s time again for the South Kingstown Public Library’s Teen Summer Program! Here are the basics, but be sure to visit our website for more summer fun!
Students entering grades 7 and up–this summer is your chance to win a Kindle in our Grand Prize Drawing! We’re also raffling off Gift certificates to Wakefield Books, Amazon, I-Tunes, Pier Pizza, El Fuego, Entertainment Cinemas and more!
Earn Prizes & Raffle Tickets in Three Ways:
1.Visit any South Kingstown Public Library each week and fill out a Beneath the Surface Reading Form (only one per week). In addition to receiving a raffle ticket, you’ll also get a bonus prize for each week you fill out a reading slip.
2.Come to any teen program this summer at any South Kingstown Library branch.
3.Complete the weekly Scavenger Hunt. Each week a new challenge will be available on our website and at the libraries.
Complete any combination of 6 or more reading slips, programs, or scavenger hunts and be
entered into the Grand Prize Raffle! Complete 12 or more activities and earn a second en-
try! Only 2 Grand Prize entries max per person.
Peace Dale Library Events:
- Wed. July 3rd, 3:30-4:30 p.m. Bingo & Summer Program Kickoff!
Play bingo and if you haven’t already, sign up for the Teen Summer Program! We’ll have ice cream, popsicles, and plenty of prizes! Registration preferred.
- Wed. July 10th 3:00-5:00 p.m. Movie and More
Come watch the classic adventure movie Goonies(PG) while we make pirate treasures, bags, and medallions!
- Wed. July 17th, 3-4:30 p.m. So You Want to Be a Ninja?
Join us for ninja skill challenges and ninja crafts! Registration preferred.
- Wed. July 24th 3:00-5:00 p.m. Movie and More–Candy Sushi
Come watch Oz: Great and Powerful (PG) while we make Candy Sushi and Oz related crafts! Registration required.
- Wed. July 31st, 3:30-4:30 p.m. Fused Glass Class
Local artist Deenie Pacik Guiliano will be teaching how to make fused glass pendants-perfect for jewelry and key chains! You create them, she’ll fire them at her studio, then you pick them up at the library! Space is limited!!! Registration Required!!!
Kingston Free Library Events:
- Fri. July 12th, 6-9:00 p.m. Teen Lock-in at the Library
Join us for a night of fun! First, laugh yourself silly with an improve workshop! Then enjoy snacks, games, and crafts! Pizza will be served! **Space is limited! Registration Required. Permission slips are
needed for this event.
- Mon. July 22nd, 2 p.m. Watercolor Painting with Pam Santos
Learn the basics and take home a finished masterpiece! Registration required.
Summer Program Grand Finale @ The Peace Dale Library
Wed. August 7th 3:30-4:30 p.m.
Join us for trivia, games, ice cream, and pizza! Get a free book!
Raffle Prize Winners will be chosen!
The end is getting near! Just a reminder that tomorrow, Saturday, August 4th is the last day to check in for summer reading and turn in any book reviews!!!
Then join us for the Teen Summer Finale on Wednesday, August 8th from 2:30-4:30 p.m. at the Peace Dale Library. There will be pizza, zombie survival games, trivia, crafts (both of the zombie and non-zombie nature!), prizes…oh yes, there will be prizes!
Come see if you won a prize in our raffle! Maybe you are a the lucky Kindle winner! And if you’ve been away all summer, never fear! There will be prizes to be won that day, and free books for everyone! Don’t miss it!
It’s hard to believe it, but we are entering Week 5 of the “Own the Night” Teen Summer Program at the library.
***This is the last week that you can earn raffle tickets for our drawings!!!***
This means, if you have any last minute book reviews to turn in, Saturday August 4th is your last chance! So, get them in soon! You don’t want to miss out on having chances to win our fabulous summer prizes! We’ll be drawing the winners at our Zombie Survival Finale!
There are only a few programs left this summer, here’s the line up of programs for teens entering Grade 7 and up:
- Monday, July 20, 2:00-3:00 p.m., Kingston Free Library
- RI Museum of Science and Art: Cut-Outs
- During this program, students learn about different types of animation – focusing on 2 dimensional or “cut-out” animation. After screening some professional “cut-out” shorts, students will make their own jointed 2-d puppets which may be taken home. They will then work in small groups to make their own stop-motion film, using their newly created puppets, to be premiered at the end of the outreach and to be viewed later on the RIMOSA website.
- Wednesday, August 1, 2:00-4:00 p.m., Peace Dale Library</li
- Insomniac Snack Cafe
- Learn to make a variety of tasty snacks! Smores on a stick, smoothies, and more! Perfect for sleepover–or whenever! Space is limited! Registration required! Call 789-1555 to register
- Thursday, August 2, 2:00-4:00 p.m. Peace Dale Library
- Anime/Manga Club: Cos-Play!
- Like manga and anime? Students in grades 7 and up are invited to the Summer Meeting of the Anime/Manga Club. For this meeting–it’s Cosplay Time! If you’d like, come dressed as your favorite anime character. There will also be trivia, drawing and of course…anime & manga!
- Wednesday, August 8, 2:30-4:30 p.m., Peace Dale Library
- Zombie Apocalypse Grande Finale
- I know, this doesn’t happen for another week, but it can’t hurt to plan ahead!
Can you survive the zombie invasion? Join us for our end of summer finale! There will be zombie themed trivia, games, and more! Enjoy pizza while we pull the “Own the Night” raffle prize winners! (You do not have to be present to win…but why would you risk missing all the fun?!?!). Everyone will get a free book to take home. Registration preferred for this program, call 789-1555.
Here’s what’s happening this week at the South Kingstown Public Library for teens entering Grades 7 and up (and don’t forget, every program you attend earns you another ticket into our Level One Raffle!):
- Wednesday, July 11th, 2-3 p.m. Peace Dale Library
- RI Museum of Science and Art: Color, Emotion, and Illusions in Animation
- Interested in movies and animation? Don’t miss this Animation Workshop presented by the Rhode Island Museum of Science (RIMOSA)! In this hands-on workshop, learn how color, emotion, and illusion can be used to aid animation. Work in small groups to make your own stop-motion film. Registration preferred but not required!
Thursday, July 12th, 4-4:45 p.m. Peace Dale Library
- 7th & 8th Grade Guys Read Book Club
- The 7th & 8th Grade Guys Read Book Group will be meeting to discuss Lockdown: Escape From Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith:
When fourteen-year-old Alex is framed for murder, he becomes an inmate in the Furnace Penitentiary, where brutal inmates and sadistic guards reign, boys who disappear in the middle of the night sometimes return weirdly altered, and escape might just be possible.
Books are available in advance at the Peace Dale Library; new members are always welcome!
- Friday, July 13th, 6:00-9:30 p.m. Kingston Free Library
- Freaky Friday Lock-In at the Library
- Join us after the library closes for an evening of Friday the 13th fun! Starting the evening will be Mat Franco, who will present an interactive show of sleight-of-hand magic, followed by a workshop where teens can learn some tricks of the trade! The focus is not just based on “revealing secrets,” but more on why and how the methods work to create the illusion of magic. Teens will leave with the knowledge base they need to perform beginning level tricks with ordinary objects they have at home!
Following Mat, enjoy pizza, glow in the dark things(?!), games, and more!
Registration and permission slips required for this event. Call 783-8254 for more information
South Kingstown Library Teen Summer Program
June 25—August 8
Open to Grade 7 and up!
This summer is your chance to win!
Kindle! I-Pod Shuffle! Gift certificates to Wakefield Books, Amazon,
Entertainment Cinemas, Pier Pizza and more!
How can you win?
- Read! Sign up at any branch. Each week, stop in at any branch and fill out an Own the Night weekly slip (only one per week). There will be a new slip each week and only the current week’s form will be available. Bring the slip to the desk and you’ll get a prize and a Level One raffle ticket. The teen librarian will keep track of the number of weekly slips you fill out; after three weeks, automatically earn bonus tickets into our Grand Prize Raffle!
- Review! Tell others if you like what you’re reading! Each review gets you a ticket for the Level One raffle. After 3 reviews, get a Grand Prize Raffle tickets! Submissions will be posted on the library’s Teen Blog. Forms are available at all South Kingstown Libraries. You can also email email@example.com for a copy. Fill them out and drop them off or email your entry.
- Visit! For every teen event you attend, you get a ticket for the Level One Raffle! Space is limited and registration may be required for some events. Check the library website for more details.
So what events are we having this summer? So glad you asked!
Peace Dale Library Events:
- Thurs. July 5th, 2-4 p.m. Anime/Manga Club Summer Special!
In addition to drawing & watching anime, we’ll also be making candy sushi!
- Wed. July 11th 2-3 p.m. RI Museum of Science and Art: Color, Emotion and Illusions in Animation!
Create stop animation videos that demonstrate how color can effect the mood and create illusions in your movies!
- Wed. July 18th, 2-3 p.m. Comic Book Character Workshop—How to Create Characters for Comics and Manga
- Thurs. July 26th 2-4 p.m. Zombie, Alien, and Monster Felt Dolls Creations!
- Wed. August 1st, 2-4 p.m. Insomniac Snack Attack! Learn how to make a variety of tasty late night snacks, from Smores on a Stick to Smoothies and more!
- Thurs. August 2nd, 2-4 p.m. Anime/Manga Cos-Play Meeting! Come Dressed as your Favorite Character
Kingston Free Library Events:
- Fri. July 13th, 6-9:30 p.m. Freaky Friday Lock-in at the Library!
Magician Matt Franco has toured across the country and will be putting on a magic show & workshop just for us. Prepare to be stumped and amazed, while also learning a few tricks of the trade! We’ll also have snacks, games and glow in the dark fun! Pizza will be served! **Space is limited! Permission slips required for this event.
- Mon. July 23rd, 2 p.m. Watercolor Painting with Pam Santos! Learn the basics and take home a finished masterpiece!
- Mon. July 30th, 2 p.m. RI Museum of Art and Science: Cut Outs!
Learn how to make 2-D, jointed cut-out puppets, that will then be used to create stop-motion animated movies!
Zombie Apocalypse Grand Finale @ The Peace Dale Library
Wed. August 8th 2:30-4:30 p.m. Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse???
Join us for trivia, games, ice cream and pizza! Get a free book!
Raffle Prize Winners will be chosen!
Don’t forget, certain events have limited space, so call the Peace Dale Library at 789-1555 or the Kingston Free Library at 783-8254 to register or for more information!
I know, June is already almost over. You’re probably thinking, “It’s a little late in the month to start celebrating audiobooks”.
Nope, you’d be wrong about that!
See, the end of June also brings the end of the school year and the beginning of summer. And the long days on the beach. Or maybe the endless road trip with the family. Or maybe just the need to tune out a bored younger sibling. Or maybe (hint, hint) you are looking for something to listen to for the library’s Own the Night Teen Summer Reading Program. Maybe.
Regardless, all of these reasons make the end of June the perfect time to celebrate the audiobook.
Here are a few new ones that you can find at the library this summer:
Fault in Our Stars by John Green Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.
Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick After an injury ends former star pitcher Peter Friedman’s athletic dreams, he concentrates on photography which leads him to a girlfriend, new fame as a high school sports photographer, and a deeper relationship with the beloved grandfather who, when he realizes he is becoming senile, gives Pete all of his professional camera gear.
Legend by Marie Lu In a dark future, when North America has split into two warring nations, fifteen-year-olds Day, a famous criminal, and prodigy June, the brilliant soldier hired to capture him, discover that they have a common enemy.
Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Nineteen-year-old returning champion Sean Kendrick competes against Puck Connolly, the first girl ever to ride in the annual Scorpio Races, both trying to keep hold of their dangerous water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.
These are just some of the audiobooks in the teen section of the library. Need some more ideas? Check out the Young Adult Library Services Association List of Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults. It is updated every year, complete with a top ten list.
So what do you prefer? Listening to audiobooks? Or would you rather read the story right from the pages?
Students entering grades 7 and up are invited to join the Anime/Manga Club for a Super Summer Meeting on Friday, August 12th from 2-4 p.m.!
It’s Cosplay Day! Come dressed as your favorite anime character!
In addition or watching and drawing anime, try your hand a making Japanese string dolls or origami! Can you use chopsticks? Practice while you sample Japanese snack foods!
No registration is required for this program. Questions? Call 789-1555.
Free Ice Cream!
It’s our Teen Summer Program Finale! Join us Wednesday, August 10th from 2-4 p.m. for free ice cream sundaes, pizza, Wii and other games! Find out who will win our Summer Grand Prize Raffles! Take home a free book!
Registration is preferred but not required for this program! Call 789-1555 for more information.
What can you do with Duct tape? Make a wallet? Make a hat? Flip flops? Or maybe something completely different! On Wednesday, August 3rd from 2-4 p.m. teens entering Grade 7 and up are invited to show us what they can do with Duct tape.
Don’t forget! Every program you attend earns you a ticket towards the Teen Summer Program Grand Prize Raffle!
Registration is not required for this program. Questions? Call the library at 789-1555.