It’s hard to believe it, but we are entering Week 5 of the “Own the Night” Teen Summer Program at the library.
***This is the last week that you can earn raffle tickets for our drawings!!!***
This means, if you have any last minute book reviews to turn in, Saturday August 4th is your last chance! So, get them in soon! You don’t want to miss out on having chances to win our fabulous summer prizes! We’ll be drawing the winners at our Zombie Survival Finale!
There are only a few programs left this summer, here’s the line up of programs for teens entering Grade 7 and up:
- Monday, July 20, 2:00-3:00 p.m., Kingston Free Library
- RI Museum of Science and Art: Cut-Outs
- During this program, students learn about different types of animation – focusing on 2 dimensional or “cut-out” animation. After screening some professional “cut-out” shorts, students will make their own jointed 2-d puppets which may be taken home. They will then work in small groups to make their own stop-motion film, using their newly created puppets, to be premiered at the end of the outreach and to be viewed later on the RIMOSA website.
- Wednesday, August 1, 2:00-4:00 p.m., Peace Dale Library</li
- Insomniac Snack Cafe
- Learn to make a variety of tasty snacks! Smores on a stick, smoothies, and more! Perfect for sleepover–or whenever! Space is limited! Registration required! Call 789-1555 to register
- Thursday, August 2, 2:00-4:00 p.m. Peace Dale Library
- Anime/Manga Club: Cos-Play!
- Like manga and anime? Students in grades 7 and up are invited to the Summer Meeting of the Anime/Manga Club. For this meeting–it’s Cosplay Time! If you’d like, come dressed as your favorite anime character. There will also be trivia, drawing and of course…anime & manga!
- Wednesday, August 8, 2:30-4:30 p.m., Peace Dale Library
- Zombie Apocalypse Grande Finale
- I know, this doesn’t happen for another week, but it can’t hurt to plan ahead!
Can you survive the zombie invasion? Join us for our end of summer finale! There will be zombie themed trivia, games, and more! Enjoy pizza while we pull the “Own the Night” raffle prize winners! (You do not have to be present to win…but why would you risk missing all the fun?!?!). Everyone will get a free book to take home. Registration preferred for this program, call 789-1555.
We’re entering week three of the “Own the Night” Teen Summer Program! Last week, we had tons of fun making movies and learning magic…this week, it’s all about drawing:
Wednesday, July 18th, 2-3 p.m. Peace Dale Library
Are the margins of your school notebooks full of doodles? Are you going into Grade 7 and up?
Then this workshop is for you! Learn how to design and illustrate a comic book character from the ground up! Eric Fulford will guide you through the process and provide tips and techniques as you create your character, as well as your character’s unique back-story!
Space is limited, registration required! And don’t forget, every teen program you attend this summer earns you a ticket into the Own the Night Raffle Prize Drawing!
And to tide you over until then, check out these very cool online drawing superhero and manga programs!
Hero Machine Lab
Hero Machine Lab lets you use your imagination to create your ideal superhero. Create classic superhero character portraits to detailed faces to non-human monsters to animal hybrids to supernatural creatures and everything in between.
Face Your Manga
Manga more your style? Create and accessorize your manga avatars!
Draw A Stickman
Draw a stickman. Or stickgirl. Or stick…vampire. Really whatever you’d like. Then watch it come to life as you interact with storylines.
It’s pretty cool. No real drawing skill required. It’s fun. Trust me, just try it. You can thank me later.
Here’s what’s happening this week at the South Kingstown Public Library for teens entering Grades 7 and up (and don’t forget, every program you attend earns you another ticket into our Level One Raffle!):
- Wednesday, July 11th, 2-3 p.m. Peace Dale Library
- RI Museum of Science and Art: Color, Emotion, and Illusions in Animation
- Interested in movies and animation? Don’t miss this Animation Workshop presented by the Rhode Island Museum of Science (RIMOSA)! In this hands-on workshop, learn how color, emotion, and illusion can be used to aid animation. Work in small groups to make your own stop-motion film. Registration preferred but not required!
Thursday, July 12th, 4-4:45 p.m. Peace Dale Library
- 7th & 8th Grade Guys Read Book Club
- The 7th & 8th Grade Guys Read Book Group will be meeting to discuss Lockdown: Escape From Furnace by Alexander Gordon Smith:
When fourteen-year-old Alex is framed for murder, he becomes an inmate in the Furnace Penitentiary, where brutal inmates and sadistic guards reign, boys who disappear in the middle of the night sometimes return weirdly altered, and escape might just be possible.
Books are available in advance at the Peace Dale Library; new members are always welcome!
- Friday, July 13th, 6:00-9:30 p.m. Kingston Free Library
- Freaky Friday Lock-In at the Library
- Join us after the library closes for an evening of Friday the 13th fun! Starting the evening will be Mat Franco, who will present an interactive show of sleight-of-hand magic, followed by a workshop where teens can learn some tricks of the trade! The focus is not just based on “revealing secrets,” but more on why and how the methods work to create the illusion of magic. Teens will leave with the knowledge base they need to perform beginning level tricks with ordinary objects they have at home!
Following Mat, enjoy pizza, glow in the dark things(?!), games, and more!
Registration and permission slips required for this event. Call 783-8254 for more information
The Own the Night Teen Summer Program is well under way! Don’t forget, you can earn raffle tickets for reading, reviewing books, and attending programs! For all the details, check here.
And speaking of programs, the Peace Dale Library has the Rhode Island Museum of Science and Art coming next week. They’ll be doing a hands on program demonstrating the effects and illusions that color can have on animated videos. And the best part of their program? They bring all the materials and cameras and let you film your own video!
To get in the spirit of things, today’s Friday Spotlight highlights a few online tools that you can use to create online animated videos.
These are just a few of the video and animation tools out there. Don’t forget, join us and RI Museum of Science and Art next week, Wednesday, July 11th, from 2-3 p.m. for even more animation and video fun!